Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Thinking...coming to conclusions

Yesterday Kieran and I were talking and he told me about this email he got about a movie coming out that was *anti-Christ*

I knew immediately what he was talking about because it was all over the yahoo groups and my personal email. I don't want to give the guy anymore free press, he got plenty by getting some uptight fundamentalists panties in a wad.

This led to us talking about thinking for ourselves and reaching our own conclusions. We talked about how it's good to ask others what they think about it and do the research ourselves.

I told him that asking me is a great start, and asking his dad, and go from there. I told him that I have very strong opinions on some things(surprise) and other things don't matter to me as much.

I also told him that as he grows and forms his own opinions whether political or otherwise, we won't always agree. I wanted him to know it's ok to disagree with me and it's good if we can discuss our differences and why we believe something.

I do not take anything at face value especially email hype about a book or movie.

It is so important to think for ourselves and know how to learn in order to make decisions based on facts not hype or popular opinion.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

This may not be the most mature thing in the world, but nothing makes me want to see a movie/read a book/whatever more than having a bunch of Christians carry on about how evil it is; ie Last Temptation of Christ, Davinci Code, etc. Still haven't seen ... Brokeback Mountain...? but it sounded good.

Grace Walker said...

Stephanie, I love this post and what you said! I could not agree with you more. Heather and I talk about this on a regular basis. I told her that what I hoped for her in being unschooled the past 5 1/2 years is that she be a free-thinking individual. :o) Thanks so much for your posts! I appreciate them more than I know how to tell you.

Grace Walker said...

P.S. - Jenny, fantastic comment as well. I'm in the exact same boat. When I got the "e-mail" about this movie, I wanted to see it that much more...