Saturday, April 19, 2008

Some kids can be cruel

Today we went to a birthday party for the neighbor girl, it was at McDonald's.



Everything was fine, I pretty much just observed and smiled and spoke a few words to a few people. I don't do well in this kind of environment so I was a little dizzy but otherwise fine. A little bored, a little tired, I'm an introvert and I just didn't put myself out there.

The reason I'm writing this is because my daughter was insulted.

I don't like stereotypes anymore than the next guy but this was typical public school behaviour.

We were getting ready to leave and I missed the incident, I must have been throwing away the garbage.

Cassie told me this as soon as we walked out the door.

When she was going to get her shoes a boy and her bumped into each other. He called her fat as he walked away from bumping into her.

She didn't say anything to him and I wish I would have seen it, now I know why she asked me to help her tie her shoes, it was so we could get out of there faster.

I started to write what he looked like but I deleted it, who cares about him, he hurt my daughter's feelings. I told her that this is pretty typical, kids are constantly insulting each other, it's how they survive.

It's wrong and it's sad and she has never been around kids that are just plain cruel. Well there was the time down the road but it wasn't directed at her.

I really could go on a rant about public school and the lack of parenting but you all know what I would say...

I just want my child to feel safe and not get a self image complex because of some stupid kid's comments.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Poor Cassie. Kids and adults are/can be cruel. Help her to be happy with who she is and she'll come out on top. You do an awesome job, Steph.

justjuls said...

Oh god that is so rude.
It's a good thing she didn't tell you inside or you might be blogging from jail - as I would be.
My son was called chubby by a kid at co-op - and it makes you so mad - because that means the kids are learning in or out of school to be cruel and insult one another.
My kids have heard my husband call me fat - so it is in our homes too.
Sadly there seems to be no escape.
I hate that for Cassie - I was called names my whole childhood and I remember how bad it hurts.
Come to think of it -it doesn't hurt any less when you're grown.

Deanne said...

I'm so sorry Cassie experienced that. That sucks!

Paige said...

Ohhhh, I HATE things like that! Makes the momma bear in me rise up and growl. ; )

Poor little girl...

: (

Colleen said...

unfortunately it's not just public school kids that do this. My son's best friend (at least whom he thinks is his best friend) calls him fat on a regular basis. Teases him, insults him, etc. He didn't used to do this,when the two boys first met. It's only since his older sister arrived that the boy started acting this way. I can't help but wonder if there is a correlation. And this is another homeschool family...but not unschoolers. Maybe that is the difference. Kids are just mean sometimes.