Thursday, January 08, 2009

The other side of the clock

I have always been a night owl, it was torture to get up and go to school for all of those years.

No matter what, I was up late and got very little sleep.

In highschool I used two alarm clocks, one by my bed and one on the other side of my room, so I had to get up to shut it off.

That was actually my boss' idea, I worked as a hotel maid and had to be there by 8am on weekends.

It didn't work though, I would just get up and go back and forth for at least 30 minutes most days.

When I did work, I worked the swing shift, I was in college and had morning classes, go figure.

My children have inherited my night owl tendencies.

You could say some is because of environment but if that were true I would have adapted to the dayshift.

Lately though we have gotten even later.

We have started a 2am ritual of watching House of Payne. We absolutely love it, it is hilarious, the kids get all excited when I stay up and watch it with them.

It seems that they have headed into going to bed at 4am, sometimes later.

I don't get as much sleep as the kids but I guess they need more.

I love the freedom we have to sleep when we want, it's important to find your natural rhythm.

I think it's detrimental to try and force sleep, just like it's detrimental to force anything on another person.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Sounds like us girl. It is 1 am and Carly and I are having a beauty night of coloring our hair and doing our nails. My two haven't been to bed before 4-5am in ages.

Grace Walker said...

How I miss those days...I too have always been a night owl. School was also hard on me. At my job, they've been scheduling me for the 7:45am-4:30pm shift on Sunday's. *sigh* Thanks for your post Stephanie. I loved reading it!

unschoolermom said...

I am a night-owl as well. It works well for me because I work until 11:00 p.m. or midnight, five nights a week; then I work on my latest writing project or on my college (going via distance learning from Liberty) until 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. My sons have set their own schedule. They, unlike me, go to bed usually around 9:00 p.m. and usually wake up by around 8:30 (sometimes earlier). I'm always glad for the says my husband doesn't have to work in the mornings, so I can sleep in. :^)

Kandy