Saturday, October 23, 2010

Questions

Last night I had a quick conversation with a young man at the wine store. We have a bit of rapport, I've been going there for awhile now.

Over time it's just been quick hi, how ya doin stuff. I don't know what prompted it but last week I mentioned that I have 4 kids and homeschool. He only knew of my youngest son because he comes with me alot.

His mouth about dropped, he is 21, dang kid was born the year I graduated from high school.

So last night, he brought it up that I am the first person he knows that homeschools. He asked me why.

I did a quick, I'm against public school, the very nature of it to produce factory robots. I asked him if he knew the history of public school and why it was started, he didn't.

He liked school and he is a schedule type guy. I said you can still have a schedule and have some freedom. He was puzzled to say the least.

I said we aren't those strict curriculum types, we follow the interests and ability of the child. I said my kids are smart and it's not because of me, it's because they are free to learn in their own way and time. He mentioned that they must be curious, I said yes, very and google is our friend. I don't know everything but I know how to find out.

I mentioned with the library and the internet available, school is unnecessary.

I told him that I thought high school was a collosal waste of time and that little kids shouldn't be holed up in a classroom all day, they should be free.

We talked a little more, I don't remember everything, but he was definitely enlightened.

He really appreciated me talking to him, this is a totally new concept to him.

I thought it was great and it reignites my fire to plant seeds and share my views :)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I love these spontaneous conversations with people. It is enjoyable when they have never heard of what we are doing. Thanks for sharing and reminding me.