Thursday, February 18, 2010

No title?

I get myself into discussions and feel misunderstood. For me, it would be easier if we were sitting next to each other having a conversation. I have gotten better at written communication but I am not a prolific writer and I tend to really try to get to the point and lose a lot between head and fingers.

This whole unschooling thing, trying to discuss it, what it is, what it isn't...

I have my own opinions and you can disagree with me all you want.

If there were no school, there would be no unschooling. It would just be living :)

I abhor the system, and if people want to hold on and cling to it and try to be unschoolers and still use the system, who am I to tell them not to?

The truth is I am a rare breed and I want absolutely nothing to do with the system period.

It irritates the hell out of me that the government thinks they have rights to my children and what and how my children learn.

We live and learn as if school didn't exist. It's so simple to me yet apparantly so complex to many.

I would do away with the system, it proves useless, damaging and completely dysfunctional.

The focus on money, tests, grades and standards is wrong.
What about the children?

They are people, they deserve to be trusted and respected, they deserve to have free reign over their own minds and bodies.

The fact that you have to ask permission to pee is appalling.

Control the masses, that is the purpose of school, it has nothing to do with education or real learning.

I  know that the school system generates over 50% of the GNP I can't recall the actual number. It would totally screw up society as we know it if school just stopped.

Think about what happens when a traffic light goes out. The sheeples don't know what to do, confusion and accidents ensue because people are so used to be told what to do and when to do it. When left to actually think for themselves and problem solve they are clueless.

Yes there are exceptions to this, I'm one of them and I know several who are. The sad truth is that the masses are dumb and can't think for themselves.

Why continue to support a  system that is truly detrimental to our society?

Don't know, I want no part of it.

If more people actually stood up or withdrew from the system it would fall.

11 comments:

Paige said...

um....um....excuse me....

can I go pee?

Sorry. ; ) I just thought you mentioning that was hilarious. ; )

Honestly, school seems like a completely different world to me. When I hear something about it, from my nieces or nephews, it just blows my mind....it SO not our life! Our lives are just that...our lives. Nothing divided nor separated, simply living.

Novel idea, no? ; )

L. J. Lowe said...

When I pulled D out of the system (the one I didn't want her in in the first place) we didn't look back. I want nothing to do with school at all and neither does D. I don't want one f'n thing in our lives that looks like school.

Anonymous said...

Everyone lives their lives the way they want to, and I think it is wonderful what you are doing, in theory I understand it.

Even though I disagree, I listen to your points and see where you are trying to come from..

I love reading your blogs, and seeing someones side, that I had never explored..

Thank you.. :)

Stephanie said...

Becky, I appreciate that :)
Yes we are all different, I have strong opinions but they are just that, my opinions :)

Grace Walker said...

FANTASTIC post Stephanie!! It's been a while since I've read and I eat them up like the best food on earth. I appreciate you, always have.

Sheryl

Cam said...

Stephanie!!

I lost you after I deleted Dylan's Wild Rumpus, and I was so excited to see your link today!! I kinda combined the blogs into one, at JourneyWildly. On my 'Happy Places', I've just started adding Unschoolers links, do you mind if I add yours?

Love this post!! So many of the same feelings that we experience as we mesh with public-schoolers. Certainly two different mindsets!!

Stephanie said...

Hi Cam, glad you found me, sure you can add my link :)

Darcel said...

I am SO glad we found unschooling. It is so natural, yet hard for my schooled mined at times. We're making our way step by step.

If my oldest were in school, they would label her with ADHD, and there is nothing wrong with her! Nothing wrong with those kids who do have ADHD. The system won't work to accept them for who they are though. It's sad.

Thanks for stopping by today and for following me!

WomanHonorThyself said...

o gosh..well said Steph!

unschoolermom said...

I cannot say that we stay away from school altogether, just because I LOVE my college. I love taking classes. I always joke with my husband that after I am finished with my current degrees, I will have to go back and start another degree. I want to be a perpetual student!

Taliesin has some of that in him. He loves some more traditional learning - like lapbooking. He finishes one to start another. Nathanael, on the other hand, is a totally natural learner. He learns best by just living life. Both ways are okay with me, as long as they are both directing their own learning.

Kandy

Shay Brooks said...

Love this blog post! You make me think twice :) Very cool. I recently found Charlotte Mason, but I think I am going to really look into unschooling and what its all about :)