Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Healing from Gluten damage

I have had health problems my whole life. Saw countless doctors and had test after test run...Drugs thrown at my symptoms but never a cause...Never a this is why you are so sick.... I am really frustrated that doctors didn't figure this out 20 years ago. I look back and I was so miserable....

Gluten causes so many health issues. http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/gluten-sensitivity-intolerance-self-test/

On that checklist I have 24 symptoms....

Since they just told me I had IBS and anxiety and vertigo, inner ear troubles....I was so dizzy some days I got out of bed and laid on the floor all day. They gave me anti histamines that knocked me out. They gave me xanax, which I got addicted to. Told me to eat more fiber.... I also had endometriosis, serious PMS, had my gall bladder out...More tests, severe bloating, oh it's slow digestion, here take this pill...Asthma, allergies...Hormonal imbalance, peri menopause starting at age 34. High blood pressure, anxiety attacks, mood swings, severe vitamin D deficiency and several vitamin deficiencies because I couldn't absorb nutrients....

Then I decided to find someone to do a hormone saliva kit on me 2 years ago. Not only were my hormones way off the charts but I tested positive for Gliadin, a form of gluten. Now I wish I would have taken it seriously at first, I did stop eating it...mostly. I kept having real pizza every couple of weeks or would slip in a piece of bread or a beer or something....Symptoms just continued to get worse. It got to the point where the last few times I ate gluten I had chest pain for 2 days because it sat in my gut...I can't digest it...

I have been gluten free for a year now, been cross contaminated about 3 times. I instantly know because I get that pain in my gut.

So now my gut is so far damaged that it may take years to heal. I'm putting in as much probiotics as I can.

The good news is I don't live in that dizzy, anxiety ridden fog anymore. I've lost 40 pounds and I look and feel younger. I found a supplement that helps metabolize my estrogen and I don't have high blood pressure anymore either.

Part of me is really pissed that my 20's and 30's were robbed from me because I was so sick all the time. The good news is I'm rocking the 40's and I will HEAL!


5 comments:

Kelly said...

Thank-you for this. I just went gluten free and dairy free and I've already noticed a reduction in symptoms. Glad to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel :)

Penny said...

I'm so glad you are healing! :)

Stephanie said...

Yes Kelly there is a light, it seems so far away some days. I've dealt with a lot more than I listed. My biggest problem right now is the severe bloating and gut damage.

Stephanie said...

Thank you Penny!!! It seems so slow going but when I look back to how sick I was a few years ago, there is great improvement.

Unknown said...

I have similar experience, not being correctly diagnosed since childhood, now being 38 years old..
I have been de-glutening my life for few months now..
there is a great doctor on this gluten issue who literally saved my life..his name is Dr. Peter Osbourne, he says the whole truth about gluten and its damaging impact..

he recommends to go grain free and avoid corn to heal completely.. paleo diet is recommended..
ALL grains have glutenous proteins and corn triggers similar immune response as gluten (protein mazein)..after following this advice I am finally and truly healing..