Friday, November 19, 2010

Ever changing world

I'm going to attempt to make this coherent. I've had thoughts in my head, read articles and have exchanged with others via email.

Education isn't about schooling at all, one is educated by learning what they need in this world. We all have different needs, we all have different abilities that is why there are so many choices as to what one can do in life.

A one size fits all school system that isn't changing is not preparing kids for the future. Can one really be prepared? How can one know what they will need to know in the future? The world is ever changing, I have heard that from more than one source lately.

Since we can't know what knowledge will be most needed in the future, it is senseless to try to teach it in advance. Instead, we should try to turn out people who love learning so much and learn so well that they will be able to learn whatever needs to be learned. ~ John Holt

One source was in favor of school saying my kids need to be in school to be prepared for the changes in the world. Well obviously that is nonsense.

School is an outdated institution, it is not growing or changing or adapting to the ever changing world. They teach the same thing over and over every year. Some things will never change, 2 + 2 will always be 4, I think...

Technology is constantly improving, look at what a cell phone can do these days.

I believe knowing how to think, how to find answers, how to adapt, how to communicate, those are abilities that will help you in the world.

A college degree isn't what it used to be and is only useful in certain areas, medical and engineering come to mind, I know there are others. Overall most jobs can be obtained without a college degree.

I believe that being an entreprenuer and having a marketable skill are wonderful ways to earn a living.

I hope for my kids to find something they love and can earn a living doing it. I don't encourage a college degree, I'm not discouraging it but why start out your adult life thousands of dollars in debt?

College can be done at any time it does not have to be done at 18, so many kids are forced into it because of the ingrained mindset of society. Go to school, get a good education and get a good job.

Really? Is that all there is to life? Join the rat race, be miserable, stay in school it prepares you for the misery that is to come.

Get out of school. Quit school and get a real education!

Information is at our fingertips, this is a wonderful time to be living in this ever changing world!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I think your post is definitely coherent, and I agree with your viewpoint completely! I find myself explaining this same viewpoint to others lately, and my husband and I talk about these issues a lot too. I am always glad to find others who feel the same way, instead of following the standard mindset.