Friday, August 07, 2009

Natural attachment

When I became a mother 14 years ago it was the best thing I ever did besides marrying Jason.

I had a little person that relied on me for everything, nourishment, safety, shelter, love etc.

I couldn't put him down, I held him, rocked him, nursed him, slept with him, carried him, talked to him, treated him like a person.

I couldn't bear to put him in another room in the house and he wouldn't let me. I barely used the bassinet by our bed.

We slept so well with him on our chest, usually mine after feeding and he slept on Jason alot.

Sleeping with our baby was a natural thing to do and subsequently all others followed suit.

My kids didn't use a crib and rarely used the bassinet, only for short stints.

It was just natural for me to nurse, sleep, carry etc.

I got really good at doing things one handed, I didn't have a sling, I didn't even know about them until I had a couple kids.

I didn't hear the term *attachment parenting* until I had been doing it for a long time. I called it *common sense parenting*

Of course I learned that many people didn't have common sense.

My kids and I have a bond, it is strong and unbreakable. We are connected, I've been realizing this lately.

Last night Cassie slept over at her friend's house for the first time. She tried a few months ago but called me to come get her. This time she called but said she was staying, she was nervous but wanted to stay.

She did stay, she had a blast, she is so tired now, she went to bed early. I just felt our connection even though we were apart. Jared missed her too, he got bored without her here, that is just sweet.

I never planned on sending my kids to school, it never crossed my mind. I didn't have kids to send them away.

I am so thankful to have my 4 beautiful babies home with me where they belong.

As they grow and start spreading their wings we will go through it together.

6 comments:

Show Us The World said...

Beautiful post!
Krystal

Cap'n Franko said...

Lovely. And it just keeps getting better. We're loving watching our teens grow and expand into the wider universe.

Mandy said...

Thank you for sharing that. It was beautiful.

Hilaree said...

So wonderful...hope you and your family are doing well. I've been thinking about rejoining the RCU group for awhile now - are you guys still going strong?

Paige said...

"Of course I learned that many people didn't have common sense."

AMEN! : )

Grace Walker said...

Stephanie, it's been quite a while since I've been on your blog but what a beautiful post this is! It brought so much joy to me just to read it. Thank you for sharing. :o)