Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Childhood

Childhood is not a preparation for life...childhood is life.

When I think back on my childhood, I didn't really have much of one, I really wasn't a kid very long and I surly didn't enjoy being a kid. I couldn't wait to turn 18 to get out of my parents rule.

My circumstances were different than many and maybe similar to some. After my parents divorce I took care of my brother and sister and the household duties while my mom worked two jobs. I was 12.

This wasn't going to be about that so I won't go into any details at this point.

What I really want for my kids is for them to ENJOY being kids. I want them to live and learn everyday without the stress of adulthood looming.

So many kids are pressured each day to perform, to get good grades, listen, obey, respect authority etc...

To prepare for their future job and mortgage.

Kids today aren't able to just BE.

My kids have never been to school and have always had the freedom at home to follow their interests and to learn in their own way and in their own time.

They are growing up right before my eyes.

No comments: